Dry cleaning services are an excellent option for washing delicate or difficult-to-wash clothes at home. They can also be useful if you don’t have the time or energy to do your own laundry. However, not all dry cleaning services take the environment into account. Some employ hazardous equipment or chemicals that contribute to pollution.
If you are concerned about the environment and the future of humanity, you can walk in at Champion Cleaners.
Eco Friendly Green Dry Cleaning: What Is the Difference?
When it comes to environmental impact, conventional dry cleaning is one of those activities that few people consider. The solvent Perchloroethylene, also known as Perc, is traditionally used to dry clean clothes. Perc is a carcinogen that is also toxic to aquatic life.
For these reasons, green dry cleaning is a must-have option for anyone looking to reduce their environmental impact. Green dry cleaning employs environmentally friendly solvents rather than Perc.
Hydrocarbons, silicone oils, and carbon dioxide are examples of alternative solvents. These are all effective at removing dirt and stains from clothes and are all environmentally friendly.
What Should You Look for in a Green Dry Cleaning Service?
Here are a few indicators that a dry cleaner is environmentally friendly:
1. Dry Cleaning with Organic Solvents: Green dry cleaners have begun replacing traditional solvents with organic solvents derived from natural sources such as plants. These solvents have the distinct advantage of being non-toxic, biodegradable, and environmentally friendly.
Green dry cleaners use a variety of organic solvents for laundry and dry cleaning. After cleaning, heat and friction are used to dry the cloth, eliminate static electricity, and remove wrinkles.
2. Making Use of Eco-Friendly Equipment: Dry cleaning has a bad reputation for being environmentally unfriendly due to the harsh chemicals and trash generated. However, this perception is changing with the introduction of green dry cleaners.
Modern dry cleaners utilize equipment and processes that have a low environmental impact and a low carbon footprint. They also prioritize the use of recyclable materials to reduce dry cleaning waste. As a result, green dry cleaners are significantly more environmentally friendly than traditional dry cleaners.
3. Using Wet Cleaning Methods: Green dry cleaners provide a more environmentally friendly approach to cleaning clothes and draperies without using harsh chemicals by offering wet cleaning services.
The wet cleaning process begins by soaking the fabrics in a soap solution, which loosens dirt and dust from the fabrics. Afterward, the fabric is rinsed and dried.
4. Recycling and waste reduction consciousness: Dry cleaning has always fallen short in terms of sustainability, but now some dry cleaning services are making an effort to become more environmentally friendly. One significant way these services can reduce their environmental impact is by reusing materials.
In addition to organic solvents, many dry cleaners recycle or repurpose hangers, plastic bags, and other items, significantly reducing the amount of waste their businesses produce.
5. Energy and water conservation: Green dry cleaning services work to reduce energy consumption in addition to recycling and reusing materials.
To clean clothes, a significant amount of energy is required to heat the solvents. Therefore, it is crucial to find a green dry cleaning service that utilizes energy-efficient equipment and water-saving methods. Luckily, most cities have green dry cleaning services available that use organic solvents that are less harmful to the environment.
The most important aspect is that green dry cleaning services recycle their wastewater. They save water and help to keep our waterways clean.
Wet cleaning has the following advantages:
Environmental impact has been reduced: Wet cleaning significantly reduces the environmental impact by using less water than traditional methods and eliminating the need for harsh detergents or solvents.
Energy consumption has been reduced: Wet cleaned clothes require less drying time than dry cleaned clothes, resulting in reduced energy consumption.
Clothing life will be extended: Additionally, wet cleaning extends the life of your clothing by eliminating the need for harsh cleaners that can reduce the fabric’s longevity.
Fabric appearance and texture have been improved: Moreover, wet cleaning improves the appearance and texture of fabrics by dissolving the dirt with soapy water, allowing the fibers to move more freely and maintain a more stable structure.
How to Get the Most Out of Green Dry Cleaning
When you take your laundry to a dry green cleaner, you want the best results possible. So, here are some pointers to help you achieve the best possible green dry cleaning results:
- Examine the care label on your clothing. Some fabrics cannot be dry cleaned.
- Take your clothes to a reputable eco-friendly dry cleaner.
- Ask around for recommendations or search for “green dry cleaners near me” on Google.
- Inquire about the cleaning methods used by the dry cleaners. Check to see if they are truly providing sustainable services.
- Make a note of any stains or areas that require special attention.
- Don’t forget to inquire about any special care instructions, such as “hang to dry.”
Where to Find Eco-Friendly Dry Cleaners
There are several ways to find eco-friendly dry cleaners in your area:
- Use search engines: You can start by doing a simple online search using keywords such as “eco-friendly dry cleaners near me” or “organic dry cleaners“. This should provide you with a list of eco-friendly dry cleaners in your area.
- Green Business Directories: Many directories, such as Green America or the Green Business Bureau, have lists of eco-friendly businesses, including dry cleaners.
- Local sustainability groups: Check with local sustainability or environmental groups in your community, as they may have a list of eco-friendly dry cleaners.
- Yelp or Google Reviews: Check the reviews of dry cleaners in your area on Yelp or Google, and look for comments that indicate that a particular dry cleaner uses eco-friendly methods or materials.
- Ask your friends and family: Ask your friends and family if they know of any eco-friendly dry cleaners in your area. They may be able to recommend one that they have used before.
At Champion Cleaners, we are committed to caring for both you and the environment! Let us demonstrate why we are the industry leader in green dry-cleaning by giving us a call if you want the best green dry cleaning service and more. You can learn more about us by visiting our website, sign up, and schedule your free pick-up and delivery right at your doorstep.